After I do by Taylor Jenkins Reid Review

"I know it will be OK because everything is OK in the end, and if it's not OK, it's not the end."

When I got this as a blind date with a book from @jonathanballpublishers I was over the moon excited. I hadn't read any TJR books yet and after seeing so many rave reviews for her books I was super keen to read one. And I loved it. And I can totally see why she is hyped.

Synopsis
When Lauren and Ryan's marriage reaches the breaking point, they come up with an unconventional plan. They decide to take a year off in the hopes of finding a way to fall in love again. One year apart, and only one rule: they cannot contact each other. Aside from that, anything goes.

Lauren embarks on a journey of self-discovery, quickly finding that her friends and family have their own ideas about the meaning of marriage. These influences, as well as her own healing process and the challenges of living apart from Ryan, begin to change Lauren's ideas about monogamy and marriage. She starts to question: When you can have romance without loyalty and commitment without marriage, when love and lust are no longer tied together, what do you value? What are you willing to fight for?

This is a love story about what happens when the love fades. It's about staying in love, seizing love, forsaking love, and committing to love with everything you've got. And above all, After I Do is the story of a couple caught up in an old game-and searching for a new road to happily ever after.

My Review
Firstly I enjoy books where the main character and I share a name, and this one was freakishly close. Hers is Lauren Maureen Prewett ( her maiden name before her mom changed her last name) and mine is Lauren Marlene Hewitt. So close!

Now let me say, I think you have to be married for this book to really kick you in the gut.
This book hurt and turned me inside out. And back the right way again.

Her family was amazing, so supportive even if they didn't necessarily agree with her decisions. They were there and just fully listened and let her be.

None of the characters were perfect, they has their faults, but that's what made them relatable and real to me.

Putting aside bits of your self for any relationship can be so detrimental and resentment can build up and that's when the communication slides and all the bad. things start to hit the fan.

A journey of self-discovery can be a tough one, learning what you like, or don't like, learning compromise and when to fight for what you want. From the small things like picking foods or movies, what matters to you? Eventually accumulatively everything matters. So talk!!

Thank you @jonathanballpublishers for this gifted copy, I loved it and TJR has a new fan.

Comments