Author Interview Emily Stone

One of the first Christmas books I read way back in July was Emily Stone's One last gift, my full review can be read here, and One last gift can be bought on Amazon, Waterstones and Barnes and Noble . Now on to the interview.
Emily lives with her sister, her sister's husband and her two nieces in Chepstow! Together they have three little rescue ponies, two rescue goats, six sheep, five chickens, three rabbits and two cats! Emily currently editing my third book which is out next year in the UK and US!
How long have you been writing or when did you start?
I had been trying to write for a long time before Always, in December (my first novel) was published - for about the last ten years! But none of the novels ever really made - I finished some, didn’t finish others, but it was Always, in December that finally made it to a publishing deal!

Are any scenes in the books based on real life events?
Not direct scenes - I think I’d find it too difficult to base something too much on real life, because I need to be able to imagine my characters have their own lives, and that’s easier if it’s made up! But I think I probably use my own experiences, or people that I know as a backdrop to the book as a whole, even if I don’t always realise I’m doing it!

If your book were made into a movie, which actors would play your characters?
I am so bad at this question!! I find it so difficult because no one feels exactly right because the characters are their own people in my mind! So I’m always more interested to see what readers think! In One Last Gift I would love Emma Thompson to play Linda…

What is your favorite childhood book?
The very first book I can remember loving is The Very Hungry Caterpillar! It was also one of the first books I bought for my nieces. I read so much as a child, it’s difficult to pick one favourite, and actually a lot of the books that have stuck with me are books I read in my teenage years, like Noughts and Crosses.

What other books have you had published?
My debut novel, Always, in December was published last year (in the UK and US), and One Last Gift is my second novel. I’m working on my third right now - hopefully the edits will be done by the end of the year!

How do you celebrate when you finish your book?
I’m actually bad at taking the moments to celebrate - it’s something I should probably do more of! I think I’m always aware that there will be more to do - when I finish the first draft I’m worried my editor will hate it and then I’m worried it won’t sell… But I do always feel really satisfied when I get to the end of a first draft and do a little happy dance on my own!

How do you select the names of your characters?
I love the baby name websites!! Every time I need to name a new character I go scrolling through the top baby names at the moment on the websites until one feels ‘right’. I know that sounds silly, but I usually have a vague idea of what the character will be like before I know their name, so there are certain names that just feel right or wrong. Sometimes I have to change the name in planning stage if it’s not sitting right, but usually once I settle on a name that’s it and I can’t imagine them being called anything else!

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
I’m finding it more difficult now that two books are out not to become too distracted by negative reviews, which I know is silly because everyone enjoys different kinds of books! But I read too many of them and then I worry that the book I’m currently writing has too many problems and I let it get to me too much - but it’s something I’m trying to work on. I find it quite difficult to start after a break too - so the beginning of a book is always difficult and then if I have a few days away from it I spend hours staring at my laptop and accomplishing nothing, trying to get back in the world… usually if I really make myself start I’m ok but it’s the making myself that’s the difficult bit!

What part of the book was the most fun to write?
In One Last Gift my favourite scenes are probably the ones in Cornwall! Both because of the place and because of where Cassie and Sam are in their character journeys at this point… It was the part of the book that flowed easiest, and the part that just felt natural to write. I also seem to like writing the end of the books! Maybe that’s because of the satisfaction of getting to the end, but I always really like getting the characters to that final page and saying goodbye to them, so to speak.

Do you have a message for your readers?
Thank you! Anyone who has read either of my books - thank you, it’s the only reason I’m able to keep writing!

Twitter
Instagram

It's been so great getting to know you Emily, thank you for the interview.

Comments