Author interview: Drew Davies

I recently read and reviewed Drew Davies's latest book The Locked away life and thoroughly enjoyed it! I had the opportunity to interview him. Let me just say that he is an awesome person who genuinely a really nice guy and takes the time to respond to connect with his readers. Check him out on social media and his books on Amazon (all the links are at th bottom of the interview) Without further ado... the interview.
How did you get started with writing books?
Writing for me is mostly about the ability to sit with dissatisfaction (“this is terrible”, “I’ll never finish it”, “no one will want to read it”), so things changed when I decided I was going to write simply to entertain a good friend, and that blossomed (over many quietly motivated years) into my first book The Shape of Us, which is a love letter to living and loving in London.

Would you and your main characters get along? And why or why not?
The two protagonists in my newest book, The Locked-Away Life, are very different from each other (Bruno is a sweet 18 year old boy and Esther is a cantankerous 82 year old woman) but I think I’d like them both in different ways. Esther has great maxims and stories – about her travels around the world, and being a feminist and an activist in the 60’s. I’d want to hear all about them. Bruno is shy and introverted, but he also has some real mettle under pressure, so I think we’d definitely get along too.

If your book was made into a movie, which actors would play your characters? 
Esther would be played by Vanessa Redgrave and Bruno by (Heartstopper’s) Joe Locke.

What is your favourite childhood book?
Choosing just one is so hard, but I loved loved loved Roald Dahl. Did you know he wrote a sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory called Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, about what happens when the eponymous hero becomes the new owner? I must like bizarre sequels, because I also loved the follow up to The Hundred and One Dalmatians called The Starlight Barking. All humans fall into an enchanted asleep, and the dogs of the world must figure out what’s happened. They can ‘swoosh’ (hover at tremendous speed over the ground). Pongo becomes acting prime minster. It’s bonkers and I loved it as a kid.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
The constant re-reading of my unfinished writing. I really wish I could get it right first time and never have to edit a word. It would make the process so much more enjoyable, ha!

What was the best money you ever spent as a writer? Buying the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2017 – I used to find a literary agent.

What other books have you had published?

The Shape of us (2018) Dear Lily (2019) With or Without You (2020) The Locked-Away Life (2022)

How do you celebrate when you finish your book? 
I’m not a huge celebrator – a bit of time off is nice, but there’s usually so much else to catch up with, like admin. But after a big edit, I look forward to administrative tasks to be honest. I find them relaxing. Just re-read that. I sound absolutely thrilling.

Do you have a go-to first reader when you feel your manuscript is finished?
Apart from my agent, I always trust my husband’s feedback, because he’s honest, and direct, and won’t give praise if it’s not earned.

Do you have a message for your readers?
Come connect with me on Instagram!
Website
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
Drew's books can be found here: My books
Thank you so much for this awesome interview, it was really nice getting to know the man behind the books.

Comments