Author Interview: Emma Robinson

Last year one of my favourite books of the year was To be a mother by Emma Robinson! Read my review here. And today I'm sharing my Interview with her. Thank you for such a lovely interview, it was great getting to know you. Her books can be purchased here on Amazon, Waterstones and Barnes and Noble.
Emma Robinson is a USA Today Bestseller with a passion for stories which explore the power of family and friendship in the most challenging circumstances. Whilst her early novels are humorous; her recent work focuses on emotional themes and these novels are both heart-breaking and life affirming. Emma currently lives in Essex, England with a husband, two children and a small black dog.
When did you first call yourself a writer?
Publicly, I first referred to myself as a writer once I’d signed my first publishing deal, but looking back, I’ve been a writer for years before that. I wrote the first draft of my first published novel the year I turned 40, so maybe that would be the turning point.

Which of the characters do you relate to the most and why?
There’s probably a little of me in all of my main characters! In To Be A Mother, I relate to Hannah’s feelings of injustice – why can everyone else have a baby easily, but not her? I felt a little like this in my thirties when all my friends were getting married and having children and it wasn’t happening for me.

What inspired the idea for your book?
The original dilemma – would you use embryos from your husband’s first wife – came from someone at my publisher. The second storyline (about Katherine, the first wife) came out of me thinking who she was and whether this would affect Hannah’s decision. This led me to think about Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and this inspired my books opening line: ‘Last night she dreamed of Katherine again’.

If your book were made into a movie, which actors would play your characters?
I can never answer this question! I am not a very ‘visual’ person and I also don’t know the names of many actors.

If you didn’t write, what would you do for work?
I currently teach English in a secondary school part-time. I absolutely love being in the classroom – particularly with A-level students – as it challenges me intellectually and I really enjoy listening to the way students respond to characters and ideas.

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?
I am lucky enough to have lots of author friends who I get to hang out with, but if I had to choose someone who I don’t already know, it would have to be Marian Keyes – she would be so much fun.

How do you celebrate when you finish your book?
I usually have a book signing at a local pub for my local friends. I’m very lucky to have a lot of supportive pals who are always happy to celebrate with me.

What is your favourite childhood book?
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. My mum introduced me to this book and I have her copy that she was gifted by her aunt in 1948. Josephine March is one of my favourite characters in all of literature.

What is the most difficult part of your artistic process?
Thinking up new plots! I always know what I want to write about in terms of themes and the characters I want to create, but making a plot with the necessary twists and turns takes some time.

Do you have a message for your readers?
Thank you for reading my books and a HUGE thank you to those of you who take the time to write reviews – it really keeps me going!

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

Comments