Author interview: Jessica Hatch

I recently read and reviewed debut author Jessica Hatch's first book, My Big fake wedding and really connected with the main character Bea. Jessica lives with her husband of two years, Paul, and their three fur babies, Ellie, Birdie, and Tig, in Jacksonville, Florida. she is currently working on edits for a second standalone romcom, which is scheduled for release from Bookouture in February 2023! Watch this space! Bailee Ingersoll, 2022 is the photographer of Jessica's awesome picture.
When did you first call yourself a writer?
I first thought of myself as a writer in high school because I started receiving external validation from teachers and other objective third parties that I might have a talent to hone. This encouraged and motivated me to apply and get into Teen Ink Magazine’s London Writing Program in summer 2007, which in turn gave my creative writing skills the major metaphorical growth spurt they needed to thrive in adulthood. (The fact that my debut novel’s publisher is based on the Victoria Embankment in London is such a full circle moment!)

Which of the characters do you relate to the most and why?
I am 500 percent Beatrice Corbin. Well, a version of Bea who has gone to therapy and gotten her Type A tendencies in check, but Bea all the same. I rely on checklists, routines, and a variety of organizational tools to get through life each day, and some might (with a great deal of verity, I might add!) suspect us both of being neurodivergent.

What inspired the idea for your book?
Random what-if scenarios love to pop into my head. This means I can’t recall where exactly I got the idea of someone planning their wedding without having a partner to marry, though it may have been inspired in part by an episode of Friends in which Monica gives a wedding venue her contact information without telling Chandler she’s done it. Of course, in that instance, Monica has someone to marry, even if he freaks out at the very idea of putting a ring on it. (Oh, Chandler, you commitment-phobe.)
I’m an avid TV watcher, though, so once I had the plot outlined, I took a lot of my comedy cues from favorite shows like New Girl and Parks & Recreation. I even rewatched the Parks & Rec story arc around Pawnee’s harvest festival to take notes on how Leslie and Ben went from enemies to romantic interests in order to block out how Beatrice and one of her love interests might grow closer.

If your book were made into a movie, which actors would play your characters?
Okay, this would be amazing. Netflix, Hulu, whomever, CALL ME.
I could see someone like Annie Murphy (Schitt’s Creek) playing Bea, and I always pictured singer and actor Josh Groban when I was writing Oliver’s scenes. I’ll blame it on having just binged Amazon’s A League of Their Own, but D’Arcy Carden playing Lucy (maybe opposite Constance Wu as Charlotte?) would be a total dream.

What is your favorite childhood book?
Nerd alert! My favorite book from childhood remains my favorite book into adulthood. Every year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I reread the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

If you didn’t write, what would you do for work?
I do actually have a “day job” outside of writing, though it’s not far off. I edit other writers’ manuscripts as a self-employed freelance editor. You can check out my business here.

Have pets or other animals ever gotten in the way of your writing?
Thankfully, no! My husband and I have three cats, but they don’t get in the way of my work. Our orange tomcat, Tig, loves to cuddle up next to me on my office couch when I’m writing.

How do you celebrate when you finish your book?
It depends on which round of being finished we’re talking about and my mood on the day. When I cranked out my first draft of My Big Fake Wedding, I think I bought myself dinner. When I signed my contract with Bookouture, I popped a bottle of champagne, then spent the day celebrating with friends and loved ones. When I OK’ed the final proof of the manuscript in June, I cried happy tears that this (life as a debut novelist) was finally happening.

If you could spend a day with another popular author, whom would you choose?
First, I’m flattered to be called a popular author by association! I think it would be great fun to spend the day with Kristen Arnett. I’m almost as big a fan of beer as she is, so we’d probably make some dad jokes over a round or two.

Do you have a message for your readers?
Absolutely. Thank you times a million for reading My Big Fake Wedding! Without you, none of this matters.
If you enjoyed the novel, would you do me one of the following “solids”?:
(a) Leave a kind, five-star review on Amazon.
(b) Tell a friend or two, or, heck, invite me to drop in on your book club!
(c) Subscribe to my Substack to find out about future book releases, workshops I’ll be teaching online and in person, etc.

Website
Substack
Instagram
Twitter
Jessica's book can be found here on Amazon

Thank you for the awesome interview, I have loved getting to know you, I cannot wait for your next book!

Comments